Staying Ahead of the Job Hunt Competition

in Job

Chances are you or someone you know has lost their job recently, due to the poor performing economy. Unemployment rates have hovered at all time highs over the past two years and many people with years of experience in a particular capacity have been forced to look outside their industry for job opportunities. With opportunities few and competition plenty, job hunting can quickly become a frustrating and emotionally trying experience.

The prospect of locating a new job is also highly taxing on recent college graduates. Because so many experienced workers have been downsized the competition for even entry level positions has grown fierce. For those just entering the job market it becomes difficult to distinguish themselves from the hoards of job seekers with not only degrees but also years of experience under their belts.

No matter what your education or experience level, landing that perfect position in today’s job market is going to be an uphill battle. But there are some things you can do to help separate yourself from the competition and stay ahead of the job hunt curve. Whether you’re looking for a sales manager job or any kind of warehouse or security guard jobs available.

According to studies as many ninety percent of job positions are filled before they ever reach public job boards and the newspapers. Many of these positions are filled through internal promotion, but a great number of employers find new talent to fill open positions simply by referral. Networking is the most important function to finding a new job regardless of the industry. Networking is especially important to those searching for a manager job or executive opportunity. If you are looking for a high paying job contact the local chapter of your schools alumni organization and get your name on the radar there. Also attend trade shows, lead groups, and networking association meetings. All of these mediums attract a variety of executives, recruiters, and HR specialists looking to bolster their organizations talent levels.

Diligence is another important aspect to any job search. Let’s face it, 99% of the jobs out there aren’t going to come knocking down your door. And the other 1% is generally composed of multi-level-marketing schemes and “independent contractor” opportunities requiring you buy into a company or service. In order to find a job today, it’s important to comb through the listings carefully and determine which jobs you are actually qualified for and which ones interest you. It’s also important to remember that not all job boards are created equal, make sure the websites you search only work with legitimate employers and contain accurate descriptions. Specialized job search sites like www.s2opps.com are excellent choices.

Once you have decided on applying for a position it’s important you don’t simply email off a poorly constructed resume expecting a call back. Experts suggest you tailor your resume to reflect the skills and experience each particular employer is looking for. You should also include a personalized cover letter outlining your individual talents and skills and relating them to the position you’re applying for. Address the cover letter to the person in charge of hiring, not to a department. If the job listing doesn’t provide a specific contact, don’t be afraid to call the company and ask who you speak with about the position or who to address the cover letter to. By addressing a specific person you increase your likelihood of getting your resume noticed.

Landing that perfect job isn’t necessarily going to be easy. But if you follow these simple tips not only will you increase your chances of finding the position you’ve been looking for, you’ll save yourself a lot of heartache in the process. If you’re currently looking for a new job, polish up that resume, start networking, and most of all happy hunting.

Author Box
alexwhalley has 1 articles online
Add New Comment

Staying Ahead of the Job Hunt Competition

Log in or Create Account to post a comment.
     
*
*
Security Code: Captcha Image Change Image
This article was published on 2010/12/25